Sunday, October 28, 2012

October 2012

I love to tell our students that kindergarten rocks because we are now big kindergarten learners!  I am a new learner too, with this blog, but since I get so excited with some of the things we do I want to share them.  I will try to post weekly and start with some freebies each week as I get going.

Apples, Apples

To prepare for our apple-cidering field trip this October, we read many books on apples!  Our favorites included The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons, Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg, and Up, Up, Up! It's Apple-Picking Time by Jody Fickes Shapiro and Kitty Harvill.

We did an apple-sequencing activity using one line on each page to create the four steps in picking apples and eating them using our "starter lines."  It was a great perceptual task as well to orient the lines to make each form.  Here is a basic template for the sequencing activity.





Since we study poetry in our literature in the fall, we completed a poem with rhyming words called "Thank you Trees."

After reading our poem, we brainstormed what kinds of things we use that come from trees (paper, leaves, wood).  We collected acorns, sticks and leaves to create apple people--only the glue, ink and markers didn't come from trees!  I cut the apples using our die-cut machine to cut out a step, but next time I would have the children cut out the apples from a template.  Here's a basic homemade apple template, and then a student's apple-person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your name with your comments!