Thursday, January 3, 2013
I have been spending a lot of quality time with the my kiddos this break out on the ice and in the snow. Now it's time to start thinking about BEAR reading, our home-school reading program we kick off in January.  We start with readings of Goldilocks and the Three Bears; I love James Marshall's Goldilocks and the Three Bears, along with Jan Brett's version.  We have bear masks and my Vikings Helga helmet (go Vikings!)  in the dramatic play area, along with different size bowls, spoons and seats.  Here's my little one modeling the Helga helmet during Vikings football:

I also have word labels on a sentence strip holder for children to match paper bowls and beds with size words large, medium, small next to dramatic play.  Here is a new template I made for the word and picture matching.  Here are some of our bears and books on display!

We also do some sequencing of the Goldilocks story once we have read several versions.  Here are the story line strips--I usually have the same story on sentence strips, which we read through as shared reading during the week.  Midweek, the children independently cut the strips and glue in order on the lined sheet.  For reinforcement of sight words, the children identify and color code sight words throughout the story.

We also enjoy a teddy bear picnic, where everyone brings a teddy bear from home and we celebrate with a bear story and Teddy Grahams.  The celebration gears everyone up for taking home their special BEAR bag to read their story with their family.  Each week they return their book and read it fluently to a teacher, they get a new and more challenging book.  Read read read!

I fluctuate between Jan Brett as my author/illustrator for January and the Berenstain Bears--I think this year I will probably try to sneak in both, since the Berenstain Bears have so many wonderful lessons to teach and, since we live in Minnesota, the Jan Brett illustrations are almost mirrored outside our classroom windows!  We've spotted deer and wild turkeys, but no hedgehogs yet!

Since BEAR stands for Be Excited About Reading, the children can also make their own acrostic, like the one here.  Here's our fantastic little bear puppet bag we made too!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your name with your comments!