Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Mitten




Everyone loves The Mitten!  To finish off BEAR week, we read both her Goldilocks and the Three Bears and The Three Snow Bears.  We compared size words, and I used my small group time to cover the concept of synonyms.  We used a synonym word match from the terrific site for Florida Reading Research Center.  I use tons of their material for my small group work since they have printable activities for phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary.

We used the templates from Jan Brett's website to make our own animals and mitten pockets.  We read the Alvin Tresselt version and compared them with a large mitten Venn Diagram.  I couldn't find a template for the Tresselt animals, so we copied them from the book.  The children finished the sentence starter I found on pinterest.  It ties in nicely with the beginning of our unit on tall tales.  I can't wait to post our Paul Bunyan and Babe work next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your name with your comments!