Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Legends (Tall Tales II)


I took a quick picture of some of the books we have read for our study of tall tales and legends.  I love starting with Paul Bunyan first (since this is Minnesota), and working through Johnny Appleseed, John Henry and Mike Fink.  Once we have read those, we read Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett by Steven Kellogg and being reading legends with female lead characters!  After Sally Ann makes an alligator tornado, each child brainstorms and writes their own legend version of who makes the weather.  I love how these turned out--next time we will write two to three sentences and extend their descriptions.  One child drew a dog and explained that rain is really the dog's drool!


I made a simple template for the "who made the weather" page which I tried to upload, but the fonts were skewed.  It was made in MS Word using Miss Tina's fonts and Handwriting Solid for the blank lines.

Next week, we are onto Tomie dePaola's legends, including my favorite, The Legend of Bluebonnet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your name with your comments!